We are very pleased to announce the winners of the Association 2020 Christmas Quiz, set by Laurence Smith:
|1st Place||A Summerlands Chuffer for your locomotive, plus a year’s Association Membership for 2021||Matt Nunn|
|2nd Place||A Summerlands Chuffer for your locomotive||Christopher Glover|
|Randomly selected entry||A year’s Association Membership for 2021||Luke Petch|
Well done to all of you. We would like to take the opportunity to thank Chris Bird of Summerlands Chuffers for kindly donating two of his ‘Chuffers’ as prizes again this year. You can view the complete range of Chuffers at www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk.
And the answers:
Slightly different this year as we’ve got a mix of knowledge questions and the usual photograph questions.
So let’s start with some easy ones:
1. Where would you find a working Double Fairlie?
2. Name the Two manufacturers that built these models:
3. How many operational 2ft 3” gauge railways are there in the UK at present and what are their names?
4. Where would you find the Baldwin replica ‘LYN’?
Lynton and Barnstaple Railway
5. What was the name of the Association kit steam loco?
6. Where am I?
Llanfair Caereinion, Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway
7. Where would you find a 2ft gauge steam loco called “ELF”?
Leighton Buzzard Railway
8. In the Thomas the tank engine stories, what is the character “Skarloey” based on?
Talyllyn Railway No. 1 “Talyllyn”
9. Where would you find “Stanhope” at present?
Apedale Valley Light Railway
10. What gauge was the Leek and Manifold Valley Light Railway?
Slightly harder ones now!
11. Who built me?
12. What railway would you find an engine known as “The Square” and what’s its proper name?
Earl of Merioneth
13. Where am I?
West Lancashire Light Railway
14. How old am I?
15. Where am I?
Brambleton Model Railway Club
16. What does ‘RNAD’ stand for?
Royal Naval Armaments Depot
17. Where am I? And what gauge is it?
Ferry Meadows Railway
18. Which railway would you presently find an NGG13 in the UK?
Vale of Rheidol Railway
19. “Georgina” on the North Bay Light railway is a replica what?
Bagnall “Sipat” class 0-4-0ST
20. Where am I?
Hastings Miniature Railway
And now for the hard round!
21. Where am I, how old is this railway and what gauge is it?
Great Whipsnade Railway
22. What is the name of the only motor rail simplex built for a tourist attraction, where is it and what sets it apart from the industrial versions?
Steam outline bodywork
23. Alton towers once had a 2ft gauge railway and a 15” gauge steam locomotive , what are the names of the locomotives that lived there?
Altonia, Golspie, Dunrobin, John
24. Whose cab is this?
25. What’s my number?
26. Where am I?
Northampton society of model engineers
27. What’s the name of this garden railway?
Chyknell Valley Light Railway
28. Where am I and what is the name and builder of the other steam loco here and its two sisters?
Rhiw Valley Light Railway
Zebedee, Dougal, Powys
29. Where am I?
Rhyl Miniature Railway
30. Doll and Gertrude had a sister, what was her name and where were the three built for?
Sydenham Ironstone Quarry